PhD: Corporate Governance
F C M A ( USA)
F IP A ( Australia)
Fellow of ICWAI (Kolkata)
Masters: PGDBM (Finance) from FORE School of Management, New Delhi (1999).
B.Com (Honours): Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University (1995).
Certificates: Enterprise Management, IIT Delhi; Business Language, IIFT Delhi.
Visiting Professor: KIMEP Kazakhstan and IIM Raipur.
Core: Accounting Domain
Management Accounting and Control
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Restructuring
Strategic Cost Management
I am engaged in Behavioral Management Accounting Research wherein I collaborate with some iconic professors of the domain. Presently, I am working on themes such as Innovation and Big Data usage, Risk and Control system linkages where in I study managerial judgments, behavior and decision making, in the Emerging Markets context. My research draws upon psychology theories and I use both Qualitative methods and Quantitative methods (such as PLS SEM). I can use N Vivo, SmartPLS etc.
Publications in “The Management Accountant”
( An ICAI Publication; ICAI is the regulator of Cost and Management Accounting Profession in India and was set up under an Act of Indian Parliament in 1959. This is one of the most reputed Journals for Managers and Academia in the Management Accounting domain in India. Its website is www.icmai.in)
1. Dawar V, Arrawatia R, Chaudhury A, Varma A ( 2018) “ Relative Valuation Methodologies: A practical perspective” The Management Accountant, February 2018, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp 75-81.
2. Maitra D, Dawar V, Varma A and Chaudhary A ( 2017) “ Impact of Mergers and Acquisitions on Stock Prices: A case study” The Management Accountant, October 2017, Vol.52, No. 10, pp 68-72.
3. Dawar, V, Maitra D, Varma A ( 2017) “ Kotak Bank Merger with ING Vyasya Bank” The Management Accountant , Jan 2017, Vol. 52, No.1, pp 26-29.
4. Varma A. , Prasad P A , Rai A K “Sun Pharma and Ranbaxy Synergy” The Management Accountant, March 2016 Vol. 51 , No.3 .
5. Varma A, Sharma R (2015) “ Reliance’s takeover of Network 18: An Event Study” The Management Accountant , March 2015 page 46-49.
6. Varma A, Varma I (2012) “ Emerging private equity industry in India: Four promising sectors viz Power , SEZ, Health care, IT and ITES” The Management Accountant . Vol 47 No.10, Oct 2012.
7. Varma A, Tiwari U (2012) “ Mergers and Acquisitions in the New Economic Order” The Management Accountant , Vol 47, No. 3 March 2012.
8. Varma A, Varma I, Panchnanda S ( 2011) “ Microsoft’s Acquisition of Skype: The Analysis of a Deal” The Management Accountant Vol 46 No 11 Nov 2011.
9. Varma A, Varma I, Jain G, (2011) “ Crisis management in Telecom Infrastructure in India” The Management Accountant Vol 46, No. 5, May 2011.
10. Varma A, Varma I, Saswat (2011) “ Empowerment through education in India: Narrowing the Urban Rural, Male Female and Affluent Poor Divide” The Management Accountant Feb 2011, Vol 46, No 2, pp 116-118.
11. Varma, A and Varma, I. (2010) “Integrated Risk Management Framework for Indian MSMEs”, The Management Accountant, Vol. 45, No.5, May 2010, pp.354-355.
Case Studies Authored
1. Varma A, Jain A, Mittal S (2018) “ SpiceJet’s Horizon in 2018” ( Case) with reference 318-0040-1 and Teaching Note with reference 318-0040-8, The Case Centre UK.
2. Varma A, Verma A, Mittal S, Jain A, Sharma S, Sahoo S ( 2018) “ Thyssenkrupp Tata Steel Joint Venture: Nerves of Steel ( Case) with reference 318-0006-1 and Teaching Note with reference 318-0006-8, The Case Centre, UK.
3. Varma A, Janga S. R., Paravastu H., Sharma K. and Telang M. ( 2017) “ Apollo Tires: Strategy for Growth ( Case) with reference 317-0350-1 and Teaching Note with reference 317-0350-8, The Case Centre, UK.
4. Varma A, Sharma G ( 2013) “ The Yes Bank Case: Choices of Growth” FIIB Business Review (FBR) , Vol.2, Iss 3, July 2013 to Sep 2013, pp 40-52.
5. Varma A ( 2014) “ Suzlon Oversea’s Bond Issue” Amity Case Research Journal , Vol 3, Feb 2014 ; ISSN 2768 2319 9199.
6. Varma A (2012) “ Google Motorala Acquisition: A case study” Viewpoint, Vol 3 Number 2, July Dec 2012.
7. Varma A (2013) “ A case study of the Vedanta and Cairn Deal” Amity Case Research Journal Vol 2, No 1, March 2013.
8. Varma A, (2012) “ Indian Branded Tea: Case study of Industry cost data”, KHOJ Journal of Indian Management Research and Practices Vol II, Issue 3, Jan April 2012.
9. Varma A, Varma I, Verma A (2011) “ Case study of Strategic cost management in VINYTICS”, TMU 2011.
Articles in National Newspapers:
• Varma A, “Accounting Field: Evergreen Bright Career”, Haribhoomi Manzil 25 March 2015.
• Varma A, Lakshya, Dainik Bhaskar , Jan 12, 2012
• Varma A, “Assessing earnings quality”, BUSINESSLINE, July 27, 2009.
• Varma A, “Making the Most of an MBA” . The Education Times, The Times of India , June 9 and June 30, 2003.
• Varma A, “Pot of Gold- the Newspaper” The Education Times, The Times of India, February 23, 2004.
Total of 18 years of experience in Academics and Banking.
Assistant Professor , IMT Ghaziabad from 2009 till date.
- Fellow Member of ICAI
- Member European Accounting Association (EAA)
- Member IMA, USA
- Member MCA , UK.
Achievements and Awards
- Awarded by NIRC ICWAI as “Best Speaker” for 2004-05 in its 46 th AGM on 28.7.05 in the Constitution Club of India , New Delhi for 2004-05.
- “Best paper award” in National conference on cases and research in power and energy sector at PMI NTPC (2009).
- Domain Reviewer for ranked journals such as Paradigm, IMT’s Journal ( Sage Publication), Reviewer for Management Decision, Associate Editor for ECIS 2017, Reviewer for International Journal of Education Management, Member of the Reviewers Board of Jaipuria International Journal of Management Research, Reviewer for Journal of Indian Business Research and Reviewer for Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies.