Ph.D in Management (GGSIP University ), MBA (International Marketing ) from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Delhi, India and B.Sc ( Hons.) in Economics, St Xavier’s College, Calcutta University, India.
International Marketing, Marketing Management, International Trade, environment and policy, Marketing Research.
Industrial Up-gradation for Indian companies, Internationalization strategies, The role of innovation and institutions in trade development and growth specific to India.
Dr Soma Arora is Faculty in the area of Marketing and International Business Strategy. Her research interests lie in the area of developing marketing strategies for emerging markets. Besides serving as a Board member for Strategic Advisory Committees overseas, and in National journals, she is engaged as a marketing consultant to provide research assistance and product development ideas to startups in India. Dr Arora integrates Experiential Learning in classroom teaching : her expertise is especially acclaimed for Global Virtual Team based projects in the area of International Marketing.
Research and Publications
- Soma Arora, (2018) “Polaris India International: moving boundaries”, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, Vol. 8 Issue: 4, pp.1-28, https://doi.org/10.1108/EEMCS-11-2017-0250
- Arora, Soma and Hariharan, Satish. (2018). After Sales Service Management at LAVA. Operations Management Education Review, volume 11, 2017. Neilson Publishers UK.
- Arora, Soma. (2017). Teaching Pedagogical Innovation for International Marketing in India” JIBE (Journal of International Business Education )Volume 12: 2017 Special Issue: “The Advancement of International Marketing Education”
- Arora, Soma. (2017) Polaris India : Riding ahead in an alternative market. EEMCS, Emerging Market Case Studies. (vol 7, issue 4).
- Arora, Soma and Chatterjee Rajshekhar (2017). Using experiential marketing to sell off-road vehicles in India: The Polaris way. Global Business and Organizational Excellence. 2017;36(5):20–25 (Wiley Practitioners’ journal)
- Arora, S. (2015). Micromax Informatics India : Marketing Strategy for Emerging Markets. EEMCS, Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies. Vol 5, issue 5.
- “A study in the sequential entry of Indian firms in overseas markets” using the Proportional Hazards Model. A timeline was used in the study for studying OFDI amongst select Indian companies through a CASE STUDY approach
- A systematic review of literature to analyse research studies from various perspectives on the same topic.
- A study of the factors affecting the global competitiveness of Indian exporting community. This research is conducted during the period 2006-07 under the aegis of a Government body.
- Market Research Project on “Study of QMS –Quality management systems – used as tools for brand building in the readymade garments industry” Forecasting and Predictive Analytics
- Visual Merchandising for a retail store in India, with overseas presence of the parent company.
- Market Research project for a leading English daily desirous to launch a virtual store for a pan India network
Academic Experience :
- Assistant Professor, IMT Ghaziabad 2013
- Adjunct Faculty ISBF, LSE International Programme in India (2010-2013)
- Assistant Professor, Amity Business School Noida (2005-2010)
- Consulting Management Incorporate, CMI Kolkata (2003-2005)
- Al Ghurair University Dubai UAE (2001-2003)
Professional Experience :
Asst Product and Brand Manager, Ashima Syntex Pvt Ltd Ahmedabad (1998-2000)
Achievements and Awards
- BEST INSTRUCTOR AWARD for effective Teaching pedagogy in International Business course : by Implementation of project X-culture from UNCG, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, USA. The teaching pedagogy is funded by the SHRM Foundation research grant for cross cultural research. Notably, X- Culture has just received the 1st Re- Imagine Education Prize in the Nurturing Employability category. This is a highly prestigious international prize awarded by the Wharton Business School.
- BEST TEAM AWARD for 2 student teams from IMT Ghaziabad, PGDM Fulltime Batch of 2016-18, in the International Business course
- Global Educator Certificate awarded in 2017, for contribution towards Project X culture by Prof Vasyl Taras, Founder and D&T Priddy Dean’s Notable Scholar at UNCG, USA.