Santosh K. Patra
Area: Media and Entertainment Management
M.Phil. (Sociology- Political Economy of Public Policy), CSSS/SSS, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
M.A. (Sociology), Utkal University, Odisha
B.A. (Sociology- Hons. & Psychology- Pass), Ravenshaw College, UU, Odisha
- Business of Media & Entertainment Industry (BMEI)
- Introduction to Media and Society (IMS)
- Social Sciences and Communications (SSC)
- Media Agenda Setting (MAS)
- Theories of Political Economy (TPE)
- Introduction to Sociology (IS)
- Nation and Nationalism (NN)
- Critical Research Paradigms
- Theories of Political Economy
- New Media Theories and Philosophy
- Political Economy of Media
- Emerging Media in Digital Age
Political-Economy of Media and Public Policy
Governance, Public Policy and Development
Research and Publications
- Patra, Santosh K. & Khan, Sumana. 2016. Politics as “Popular Culture”& Its Digital Manifestation: an Indian State Election & Few Twitter #Hashtag Trends. International Journal of Communication Research. 6 (2). 119-127.
- Bhatia, Kiran & Patra, Santosh K. 2016. Political Economy of Air Pollution in India A conceptual analysis of role of media. Journal of Content, Community & Communication. 3(2), 50-55.
- Jagani, Khyati & Patra, Santosh K. 2016. Digital participation through mobile internet banking and its impact on financial inclusion: A study of Jan Dhan Yojana. International Journal of Pubic Administration in the Digital Age (IJPADA). (Accepted and Communicated)
- Patra, Santosh K. & Khan Sumana. 2016. Leveraging on Societal Insecurities & Politics of Crises in India. LIV (18). Pp 29-33
- Govil, Ankit and Patra, Santosh K. 2015. ‘Need to be Shared’: Decoding Viral Genome of Popular YouTube Videos. Journal of Global Communication. 8 (2), Pp 134-144. DOI: 10.5958/0976-2442.2015.00015.4
- Patra, Santosh. K. Online Participation and Self-presentation in Social Networking Sites: A Study of Selective Users of India. Journal of Creative Communications (Sage Publications). 10 (1) Pp 89-104
- Vasavada, Falguni, Santosh K. Patra, Palak Gadhiya & Krishna Mishra. 2015. Capturing Trends and Identifying the Emerging Cool: A Study of Indian Bollywood Celebs on Twitter. Media Watch. 6 (3). Pp 286-295
- Khandpal, Anshul & Santosh K. Patra. 2013. Brand Building in the Era of Mobility & Emergence of ‘New Imagined Communities’: A Conceptual Analysis. Indian Journal of Marketing, 43 (11). Pp 24-29.
- Patra, Santosh K. & Arbind Sinha. 2013. Social media and society: ‘networked self’ and ‘the others’, Yojana (Ministry of Broadcasting, Govt. of India, 57 (May). Pp 48-51
- Patra, Santosh K., Rahul Gadekar & Pradeep Krishnatrey. 2013. Users’ gratification, self-schema and facebook bahaviour: a study of selective young facebook users. Media Watch. 4 (1). Pp- 84-94 (ISSN 0976 0911)
- Sinha, Arbind, Santosh K. Patra, Sunil Bhatt & Alok Brambhat. 2013. ICT initiatives and agricultural communication in India: gaps and way forward. Mass Communicator, 7 (2). Pp- 12-22 (ISSN: 0973-9688)
REVIEWS AND CASE STUDY:
- Patra, Santosh K. “Cyberculture and the Subaltern: weaving of the virtual and real, Maryland: Lexington Books, 2013, 178 pp. ($60.00) by Radhika Gajjala”, Journal of Creative Communication (JOCC), Sage Publication. 8 (2&3). Pp 277-282
- Patra, Santosh K. 2016. Development Disparity and Poverty of Orissa: Questions Concerning Governance Deficit. in Anand Kumar et.al (Eds.). Chronic Poverty in India: policy issues and challenges: Vitasta Publication: Delhi
- Jha, Himanshu & Santosh K. Patra. 2007. Macro Economic Growth: Challenging Realities. in dignity and rights: making the universal right to social security a reality, Social Watch: Uruguay
- Jagani, Khyati & Santosh K. Patra. Digital Participation through mobile internet banking and its impact on financial inclusion: A study of Jan Dhan Yojana. in International Conference on Telecommunication Technology and Management, Emerald India. ISBN: 9780992680053. BSTT & IIT Delhi
- Junaid, N.P. A. & K. Patra. 2014. Promise and challenges of internet to bring a new public sphere: exploring the case of right thinkers, a Facebook discussion group in Malayalam. in Digital future: Content, community, communication: International Communication Management Conference proceedings,( pp. 66-71). Ahmedabad: MICA.
- Jagani, Khyati & Santosh K. Patra. Digital Participation through mobile internet banking and its impact on financial inclusion: A study of Jan Dhan Yojana. in International Conference on Telecommunication Technology and Management, BSTT & IIT Delhi, India
- Junaid, N.P. A. & Santosh. K. Patra. 2014. Promise and challenges of internet to bring a new public sphere: exploring the case of right thinkers, a Facebook discussion group in Malayalam. in Digital future: Content, community, communication: International Communication Management Conference proceedings,( pp. 66-71). Ahmedabad: MICA.
- Patra, Santosh K. & Saumya Pant. 2014. ‘Inter-subjectivity’ World of Virtual Reality: facebook User’s Behaviour in the Context of Individual ‘Privacy’ and extended ‘Self and Identity’. IAMCR. India. 14-20 July 2014. India
- Patra, Santosh K. 2013. “Exclusivity of being in time and place: a study of instant communication through the digital mobile connectivity presented in XXXIX All India Sociological Conference, Mysore, Karnataka, 27-29th December 2013.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2013. “Between knowledge and power: political agenda and social engagement of political elites through micro-blogging (Twitter) in India”, in BRAFFTV Film and Media Conference 2013, University of Toronto, Canada, 18-20 October, 2013
- Patra, Santosh K. 2013, “Understanding the poverty of Orissa (India) in the context of Development deficit vs. Governance deficit” in International Congress of Social Sciences, Bangkok, 25-27 January, 2013
- Patra, Santosh K. 2012. “Agricultural communication gaps in ICT initiatives in India” in workshop on Strategy for mitigating agricultural communication gaps in India, 13 & 14 March, 2012, at MICA
- Patra, Santosh K. 2012. “Self and identity among young facebook users in India” in the faculty research presentation, 23 March 2012, MICA.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2012. “The need of understanding changing human behavior in the context of self and identity among facebook users in India” in the 1st consultation meeting with partners of MICA facebook study, 17-18 January, 2012, MICA.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2011. “Space, Identity and Community in Internet Based Communication: An Indian Experience” in the third research presentation, 5 August, 2011 at MICA.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2011. “Understanding the Poverty of Orissa in the context of Development Deficit vs. Governance Deficit”, in the National Seminar on Chronic Poverty in Orissa, 22nd – 23rd April 2011, Koraput, Orissa, organised by Chronic Poverty Research Centre (CPRC), UK, Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), New Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi and Central University of Orissa, Koraput.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2009. “Safeguarding Public sector integrity and strengthening parliament institution in India”, in United Nations Convention against Corruption, Doha, Qatar, 7th– 13th November 2009.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2008. “Self, identity and community in internet based communication”, in a workshop of University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany, June 17th– 20th, 2008.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2008. “Strengthening the institutions of local governance and empowering women representatives in India” in Asia regional summer school, 2008, Miriam College, Manila, Philippines, May 19th– 25th, 2008.
- Patra, Santosh K. 2007. “Youth and Globalization: A Comparative Study of Two Cities” in the Workshop for Young Sociologists, Jammu, October, 5-6, 2007
- Patra, Santosh K. 2006. “Religion, Development and Women: A Study of India” Presented in a National Workshop on Taking Faith Seriously- Role of Faith- Based Organizations (FBOs) in Development Dynamics of India, conducted by, CSSS/SSS, JNU, New Delhi, 12th March 2006.
- “Religiosity as a way of life vs. structural enforcement by state: a study of selected endangered Tribes of Orissa”, India, Funded by MICA. Starting Date April 2015
- “New Media and student movements in India”, Funded by MICA, Starting Date, December 2014.
- “Towards a ten digit identity: mobile phones and migrant labourers in India” Funded by MICA. Starting Date November 2013.
- “Impact of ICT in health communication: a study of rural Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India”, Funded by MICA. Starting date January 2013
- “Development of alternative ICT model for agricultural communication in India”, funded by NAIP/ICAR (World Bank Funded), since 2010
- “National facebook study, lead the “self and identity” theme”, funded by MICA, since 2011
Management Development Programmes
Viacom Media Group
Government of Gujarat, Ministry of Information & Communication
Malayala Manoroma Group
- Associate Professor, IMT Ghaziabad, 2017-till date
- Assistant Professor and Chairperson (Media and Entertainment Management), MICA, Ahmedabad, 2011-2017
- Visiting Faculty, IIM Indore, 2016
- Guest & Visiting Faculty, Arjun Singh Centre for Distance Learning, Jamia Millia Islamia, October 2010 – February 2011 (5 months) New Delhi Area, India
Part-time & Consulting Engagements
Achievements and Awards
- Chairperson, Media and Entertainment Management Area, MICA
- Member, MICA- Research Committee
- Member, MICA- Fellow Programme in Management- Communication (FPM-C) Committee
- Member, Annual International Communication Management Conference Organising Committee, MICA
- Member, MICA students Orientation committee
- Member, MICA curriculum and accreditation committee
DOCTORAL THESIS SUPERVISION
- Mrinmoy Majumdar. 2014. Labour, technology and society in the context of India. MICA. Batch 2011-2014. [Member– Thesis Advisory Committee]
- Benson Rajan. 2017. Social Media and Affective communication in Church Discourse: A Study of Online Discourse and its Affect within the Churches in New Delhi. MICA. Batch 2013-2016. [Member– Thesis Advisory Committee]
- Sahana Sarkar. 2017. Digital Literacy and cyber crime: a study of Indian women, MICA. Batch 2013-2016 [Chair– Thesis Advisory Committee]
- Ahmed Junaid (Ongoing) Online public sphere and mass movements in India. MICA, Batch 2014-2017. [Member– Thesis Advisory Committee]
- Sharma, Aanchal (Ongoing). Cooperative Conflict and Women Empowerment: a study of forest Management. MICA. Batch 2014-2017. [Member– Thesis Advisory Committee]
- Das, Saurabh. (Ongoing). Political Communication in India. MICA. Batch 2015-2018 [Chair– Thesis Advisory Committee]