Asit K Barma
Post Graduate Diploma in Management from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
B.Tech in Electrical (Electronics) Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Ph.D (Expecting) from University of Madras, Title: Study of impact of open source CRM on customer retention
Certified in Global Business Leadership by Harvard & U21
Attended Case Writing & Teaching workshop by IVEY Business School, Canada
Certified in Business Analytics by Dun and Bradstreet
Advanced Certification programs conducted by the Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad; the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi; XLRI Jamshedpur; Public Relations Society of India, Delhi
Digital Marketing and Customer Insights, CRM, Technology Marketing, Context and Cognitive Marketing, B2B Marketing, Account Based Marketing
Professor in Marketing Area, Asit is a traditional and digital marketing professional with 30 years of experience and Domainchair – Digital Marketing & Customer Insights, Asit helped industries reap the benefit of digital technology to create digital commerce, superior customer experiences and stakeholder engagements and build compelling brands across various industry domains. An IIT-Madras and IIM-Ahmedabad alumnus, and a national scholarship awardee, he has architected the making of several successful corporate brands and received recognitions from global industry analysts. He brings a rich corporate experience being in the senior leadership position of many organizations like ValueLabs, Hinduja Tech Ltd, Tech Mahindra, Kumaran Systems and TCS.
On the board of multiple national and international industry bodies, Asit builds strong relationships with stakeholders in varied business ecosystems, having been instrumental in guiding CII, FICCI-Tamil Nadu State Council, NASSCOM and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in preparing several key concept notes and policy recommendations. Asit is the Editor of SAE international & SAE India publication ‘Mobility Engineering’. Certified in Global Business Leadership by Harvard & U21 University, he is expecting his PhD from University of Madras and the title of his thesis is Study of impact of open source CRM on customer retention. He has published several papers and delivered lectures at many national and international seminars and premier academic institutions.
Academic & Editorial Positions
Academic Positions (from January 2017 onwards at IMT Ghaziabad)
Professor (Marketing Area)
Programme Chair (PGP-ACE, an executive post graduate programme for high achievers)
Evangelist- Real Time Contextual Marketing Lab
Editor- Mobility Engineering, a joint publication of SAE International and SAE India (2012-16)
ValueLabs: September 2013 to December 2016
As the VP-Marketing and Head – Digital Marketing Practice, built and mentored a large, and motivated marketing team and set up a digital marketing solutions practice, making marketing function a revenue generating one playing dual roles of brand building and business enablement.
Hinduja Tech Ltd: June 2009 to August 2013
Vice President and Global Head – Strategy and Marketing
Introduced several innovative, yet frugal, marketing ideas. In a span of only four years, during my leadership, Hinduja Tech achieved outstanding recall both within and outside the Hinduja Group and emerged as a very promising technology solutions company from India.
Guided the organization to identify opportunities in enterprise mobility applications in the automotive industry and worked with the SAP Co-innovation Lab for a joint go-to-market plan. Guided the branding of its manufacturing 4.0 suite of offerings including the one on shop floor to top floor which was a huge success.
Tech Mahindra: June 2001 to May 2009
2004 – May 2009: VP / Global Head (Marketing and Strategy) – Manufacturing / Automotive (M&A) SBUs
- Was a part of the SBU leadership team providing thought leadership, building strategy for alliances and new service / solutions offerings, as well as building, sustaining and influencing stakeholder relationships with investors, analysts, media and industry bodies. Directed several campaigns to build a powerful global brand in collaboration with the corporate marketing team
- During this tenure of 5 years, M&A business unit grew to be one of the largest in the company and the Manufacturing and Automotive practice became a powerful brand in the Indian IT industry with analysts rating it as the most preferred IT outsourcing partner from India (2008), ranking #1 in Automotive sector and # 3 in Manufacturing sector.
2001-2004: Played several roles as Assistant Vice President – Business Development (MEA), M&A business unit; General Manager – Marketing, SAP Business Unit; General Manager, Retail Business Unit
Kumaran Systems, Chennai: April 1999 to May 2001
General Manager (Marketing)
- Drove a very strong relationship with partners like Oracle Corporation. Helped in launching new products /services and setting up a global distribution channel. Introduced an offshore pre-sales support team. Directed service portfolio diversification by signing partnership with Great Plains (now a part of Microsoft). Helped in formulating the company’s vision and strategy roadmap and helped in raising PE funding.
TCS (erstwhile CMC Ltd): May 1986 to April 1999
- Head of Corporate Marketing
- Executive Assistant to the Director – Business Development and EA to the Chairman of CMC Ltd (for 2 years)
- Managed Business Development and Solutions Selling to transport, steel and other manufacturing sectors in the Eastern region
- Played a key role in the early years of the organisation’s restructuring into strategic business units and helping its foray into the Education and Training franchisees and System Integration practices
- Set up India’s first Competency Center for Java India (CCJI) in Hyderabad in collaboration with Sun Microsystems, NASSCOM, and the Ministry of IT, Government of India
Association with industry / institutional bodies
- Chairman- Publications Board, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers, the leading industry body setting standards for automotive and aerospace industry), India (2012-16)
- Editor- Mobility Engineering, a joint publication of SAE International and SAE India (2012-16)
- Chairman- Media and Communication, FISITA 2018 (FISITA is the International Federation of Automotive Engineering Societies)
- Former Convener – Manufacturing, Aerospace and Defense panels, FICCI Tamil Nadu State Council
- Former Member – CII MSME Task Force (2012-14) and TN State ICT panel (2012-14)
- Permanent Invitee Member- Industry Sub Committee of Manufacturing Competitiveness Council of the Government of Tamil Nadu
- Former TiE Charter Member
- Former Chairman – SAE India Southern Section (2009-2011) and Former Vice Chairman, SAE India Southern Section (2007-09)
- Vice Chairman of Organizing Committee for International Mobility Conference 2009 and Advisor to the National Conference on Automotive Infotronics 2010 conducted by SAE India and SAE International
- Former Member, Managing Committee, Madras Management Association (2006-08)- India’s largest local management professionals’ body
- Vice President, IIT Madras Alumni Association, Chennai Chapter (2006-09)
- Member, Executive Committee, IIM Ahmedabad Alumni Association, Chennai chapter (2007-11)
- Former Member – Advisory Board, Center for Technology Development and Transfer, Anna University
- Curated several programs like NASSCOM Surge 2012, CII conference on Auto R&D, SAE Students conclave, Several FICCI conventions by Tamil Nadu State Council, India Innovation Growth Program by Department of Science and Technology and Lockheed Martin
- My views on industry and academia have often featured in print and online media
Managing Strategic Network (3 credits): With change in industry specific business rules and technology, very often organizations face strategic gaps that may not be fulfilled with the available internal resources. This forces them to look out for external sources. Depending upon the importance and the type of the resource required, organizations adopt various ways to bridge the resource gap. The time-tested option is to go for mergers and acquisitions. The other options are to go for different types of joint ventures, strategic alliances, partnerships. Identifying and Managing strategic networks thus forms a critical aspect of a firm’s competitive advantage in today’s technology driven disruptive times. This course analyses all these options from a strategic perspective. The course draws on cases and examples from large global corporates and integrates contributions from digital technology, accounting, law, finance, organizational behavior, game theory, service dominant logic and principles of competitive advantage and portfolio management.
IIM, Trichy; IIT Madras; ISB; IMT Hyderabad; SSN university; Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai; University of Calcutta; University of Hyderabad; Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad; IBS Hyderabad and many other institutes
- Leveraging cloud computing for small retailers (Published in International conference on retailing: the emerging landscape of Retail and impact on economy, University of Madras, September 6-7, 2012)
- SMACing the automotive industry: connectivity meets social, mobile, analytics and cloud (Published in Mobility Engineering, a quarterly publication of SAE International, Vol 1, Issue 4, September 2014)
- Social networking and its impact on marketing strategies (Research Paradigm in Management by Bonfring, 2012)
- Next Gen tweeting workforce: capability building for transformation and innovation (International journal of contemporary Management Studies, Velammal Institute of Technology, Anna University, August, 2013 )
- Unstructured data for superior customer experience (Analytics for effective marketing, IFHE, ICOMBS 2015 proceedings)
- Leveraging technology for big results from small advertising budget (Contemporary Issues and Challenges in Advertising by D G Vaishnav College, Chennai)
Honours and Awards
National Scholarship by West Bengal Board of Higher Secondary Education