Industry Report Launch and Panel Discussion
Contemporary Marketing: Regaining Ground
Virtual Event: September 14, 2021 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm
The marketing area at IMT Ghaziabad, in collaboration with industry, has brought out a new report titled ‘Contemporary Marketing: Regaining Ground.’ The report results from discussions among faculty in the marketing area at IMT Ghaziabad on contributing something meaningful for and with industry. The report is co-authored by three colleagues from the marketing area. It includes contributions from 13 senior industry professionals from across domains.
The report has taken us a little more than eight months, with significant time spent engaging in discussions with industry professionals and faculty. It has been a very meaningful and worthwhile exercise, and we enjoyed putting it together. The report comprises of:
- Three technical notes
- Customer Experience
- Social Media Marketing
- Behavioural Economics and Marketing
- 13 interview summaries with senior industry professionals
- Profile of the industry professionals
- Their views and opinions on the topics
- Their advice to students for a career in that field.
(Retired) Professor of Marketing at IIM - A
- Abraham Koshy was Professor of Marketing at the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. He had also worked as an Associate Professor with the Centre for Management Development in Kerala before joining IIM Ahmedabad as a faculty member in 1989. At IIM Ahmedabad, he had held several administrative responsibilities as the chairperson of PGP program and marketing area, an alumni center committee member, the editor and chairperson of the editorial board of Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, and as a member of executive committees for various programs and activities. He was a visiting scholar at INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France and a visiting professor at the European School of Management (ESCP-EAP), Paris, and at Glasgow University, UK.
- Professor Koshy has conducted training programs for senior executives of several companies, both in India and abroad including Mauritius Telecom, Johnson & Johnson (Asia-Pacific), ST Microelectronics, the Sumaria Group of Companies, the Zubair Group of Companies, OTIS Elevators, Pfizer, the British Council, the Indian Oil Corporation, Torrent, the Bank of Baroda, Zydus Cadilla, Mahindra & Mahindra, Apollo Tyres, HDFC Bank, and Bharti Airtel. He has conducted executive training programs in Singapore, France, the Sultanate of Oman, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Kenya, and Egypt. Professor Koshy is closely associated with several companies, in India and abroad, as a consultant addressing decision issues relating to marketing strategy, product and brand management, and customer management processes.
Chief Strategy Officer Ogilvy Africa at Ogilvy
- In a career spanning more than two decades, Mr Ganguly has played multiple roles in technology and strategic planning.
- Besides IPG, he has worked in the past with organisations such as Ogilvy, Experience Commerce, M&C Saatchi and Cyber Media.
- Notable achievements are his work on retail customer matrix for a grocery retailer in India using the RFM modeling, use of real-time health data to build a disease tracking app in India’s fight against the dreaded Dengue & malarial infections and more recently developing the first of its kind AI based voice bot for India’s top auto company Tata motors, that recently won an award at the APAC Smarties.
CEO Big Bazaar
- Kamaldeep Singh is an accomplished leader with over 18 years of rich & diverse experience. He is currently President, Food & FMCG at Future Group. Future Group is leader in Food and FMCG Retail with more than 1000 stores with Leading Formats like Big Bazaar, Hyper City, Easyday and Heritage. He has over a decade of experience at Future Group.
- He is instrumental in handling strategic projects & initiative for group. He was working as Food & FMCG Business Head before taking over as President. He brings strong cross functional & rich experience in Sales and Marketing in Retail & FMCG Industry.
- Previously he worked with Reliance Retail. Before that he was working with Wrigley in Sales & Marketing. He holds Post Graduate Diploma (PGDRM) from IRMA.
Professor, Mobile and Interactive Marketing, University of Michigan
- Dr. Sy Banerjee is a Professor of Marketing at UM-Flint and an Affiliate Faculty member of Michigan Institute of Data Sciences (MIDAS) at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He received his PhD in Business (Marketing) from the University of Rhode Island, MBA (Marketing) from International Management Institute, New Delhi, and his Bachelor in Science (Economics) from Presidency College, Kolkata. He joined academia with four years of industry experience in consumer packaged goods, logistics, tracking and telecommunications.
- He has been a pioneer in the research of the impact of mobile devices in digital marketing, consumer insights and behavior. His publications contribute to the areas of Mobile Marketing, Location Based Advertising, Social Media Geoforensics, IOT, Location Based Social Media Listening, consumer behavior and public policy. He has published in Journal of Business Research, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, and Journal of Marketing Analytics among many others.
- He has developed the first academic course on mobile interactive marketing and offered it for Northwestern University, been speakers at the Mobile University Summit, and been a collaborator with Heartland Mobile Council (Chicago) for developing a certification program for mobile marketers. He has helped the UM Flint School of Management win the Community One Awards from MMBDC through his teaching and the OakGov challenge with AT&T through his research efforts.
Dr. Sapna Popli
Area: Marketing Management
Dr. Bikarmjit Rishi
Dr. Shawn Mathew
Assistant Professor & Chairperson - Dual Country Program
Area: Marketing Management
IMT is releasing the industry report titled “Contemporary Marketing- Regaining Ground” on the 14th of September, with an online event. The event will have two keynote speeches, one from industry and one from academia, and a panel discussion around the topics covered in the report. The speakers for the event are Prof. Abraham Koshy (Retired) (IIM Ahmedabad), Prof. Syagnik Banerjee (Professor, Mobile and Interactive Marketing, University of Michigan), Mr. Kamaldeep Singh (Chief Executive Officer – Big Bazaar), and Mr. Sumanta Ganguly (Chief Strategy Officer – Ogilvy Africa).